Monday, April 26, 2010

Are You Ready? Join the Caravan of Spice!

Hand in hand we'll take the caravan.. join the caravan of spice.. stand up!
(With apologies to the Isley Brothers)

What is food without spice? Okay, who said British? I have heard that British food has come a long way in the last several years.. but never mind that - we are talking about gloriously fragrant spices that delight both the palate and the soul.

Earthy, floral, sweet or grassy.. they are all waiting patiently in your cupboard. Bring them out and celebrate the spice! Even better, try a new spice or a new spice combination. Explore new regions of cuisine or revisit an old favourite. The choice is yours.

Find a Mark Bittman recipe, from one of his books or online, that represents Spice Caravan to you. Cook up something for the theme and link it to Mr. Linky by May 2nd.

And did you get a chance to check out the fabulous creations at the April Potluck yet?

Link your I Heart Cooking Clubs post of the week's permalink with Mr. Linky, below, so we can all see your fabulous Spice Caravan creation! Please leave a comment after, each week that you use Mr. Linky to link your post, just to be sure we don't miss anyone.

Not sure what a permalink is? Check out our Welcome post.



I Heart Cooking Clubs *Spice Caravan* Participants

1. Kim- Potato Cumin Curry
2. Tina Marie (Nachos and Margaritas)
3. Joanna@goaheadandsnicker-Chai Spiced Ginger Crunch Ice Cream
4. Joanne - Spiced Red Lentil Pancakes
5. Maggie-Spicy Supercrunchy Fried Chicken
6. Melissa - Fried Chicken Made Easy
7. Michael and Carla @ RecipeAddict
8. Andreas - Curried Stir-Fried Potatoes
9. Andrea at Nummy Kitchen -- Bean Griddlecakes with Spiced Rice and Coconut Curry
10. Natashya - Houria - Spicy Carrot Salad
11. girlichef~ Spicy Pork Salad
12. DebinHawaii--Curry Soup Noodles
13. Jayasri
14. Passionate Perseverance ~ White Bean Soup

23 comments:

Deb in Hawaii said...

Fun post Natashya. I am looking forward to this one--going to search the books now for inspiration.

Heather S-G said...

Yes, I love it! And so many options...so much to choose from...can't wait to figure out what I'm making :) ...and see what everybody else makes as well. Cute post :D

Kim said...

Very nice Natashya:D Love those pictures of all the spices!

Jenny said...

Ooh this will be a tough one for me.

Kim said...

Just posted my potato cumin curry - delicious and comforting for all of our cold, rainy weather.

Jenny - Maybe you can pick cinnamon or even vanilla and make a dessert?

Tina said...

Can you believe the size of his kitchen? I always wanted a big kitchen but have been looking at mine in a new light after reading Bittman and Tyler Florence's organizing advice!

Joanna said...

Love that photo of Mark's tiny kitchen!

Joanne said...

I loved this theme! Spice and bold flavors are a must!

Unknown said...

I posted Spicy Supercrunchy Fried Chicken. I don't think supercrunchy is a word..hahahha. I searched and found this recipe in the New York Times.

Unknown said...

I did fried chicken, too! Mine has cumin, chili powder, cayenne and ground coriander. Yum! So crispy and delicious!

Deb in Hawaii said...

Yum! Everything is looking delicious! Mine is done but since it's also my Super Sunday dish this week, it won't post until Sunday! ;-)

Carla and Michael said...

I am having so much fun with this. It is helping me to expand my repertoire in the kitchen.

NKP said...

Wow, I really need to try that ice cream with corn starch! What a unique idea.

I have started tweeting out our dishes, IHCC's twitter topic handle is #IHCC.

Let us know if you have a twitter address and if you would like it listed on the sidebar.

And can I just say again what a fabulous pot luck we had last week? Our best ever!

Andreas said...

Post is up.

I like that still-life with the measuring spoons. :)

Andrea at Nummy Kitchen said...

Just got my Spice Caravan post up, what a completely delicious meal! Love the spice theme :)

Jenny said...

I could not find anything to suit for this that I was happy with, so I missed it. :-(

NKP said...

Mmm, lots of fried chicken and curry going on - two of my favourite things! Yum.. :)

My Houria (Spicy Carrot Salad) is up!

Heather S-G said...

Spicy Pork Salad...sliding in under the wire.

Deb in Hawaii said...

Another under the wire dish--just posted Curry soup Noodles. Spicy and full of spices.

Myvegfare said...

Hi first time here, I stumbled upon your blog today, I got very interested in your blog event and wanted to participate,so I tried out two of his dishes as I had a difficult time posting recipes, As I have some problems with my computer which gets stuck now and then sorry If I was not on time posting, but, I did really enjoyed the recipe and watching Mark Bittman's videos and his talking!!, I tried one more dish but problems with my computer I was not able to post it before 12 O' clock!!, Thank you...

Myvegfare said...

Hi sorry, got confused posted other one, but not spiced up recipe sorry for troubling you!!, you can take my post out!!, I will participate next time!! :(

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Sorry that I didn't cook with you all this week - even though I had already decided what I was going to make. A busy week simply got away from me, and then I was away for the weekend visiting my family - my Dad's 80th birthday.

So I had pretty much a whole week of very little cooking, and no blogging - feels kind of weird actually. But back to earth now, and an opportunity to catch up on what you all made. Looks like some great dishes there.
Sue

NKP said...

Hi Jayasri - welcome! No worries, we all had trouble in the beginning.
Thanks for joining us!