Monday, May 31, 2010

Herb Garden!

What's growing in your Herb Garden? Or along your windowsill? Or at your local farmers market or even the produce aisle of your favorite supermarket? Well, it is time to pick and chop some of those lovely herbs and make a Mark Bittman recipe that features them.


That's right it is all about the Herb Garden this week at I Heart Cooking Clubs.

Definition please?
  • An herb is defined as "a plant that is valued for flavor, scent, or other qualities."
  • Culinary use of the term "herb" typically distinguishes between herbs, which are from the leafy green parts of a plant, and spices, which come from other parts of the plant, including seeds, berries, bark, root and fruit.
  • Culinary herbs are distinguished from vegetables in that, like spices, they are used in small amounts and provide flavor rather than substance to food.

Whether you are a lover of basil or chives, a fanatic for cilantro or mint, crazy for oregano or marjoram, or maybe like Simon & Garfunkel, it is parsley, sage rosemary and thyme that inspires you, trust us, there is a Bittman recipe for you. Find a recipe that features fresh herbs from one of his books or online, or if you can't find them fresh in your area, use dried herbs instead.


Make and post your Bittman Herb Garden recipe by Sunday, June 6th. Don't forget to link your post of the week's permalink with Mr. Linky, below, so we can all enjoy your fabulous herbalicious creation! Remember to leave a comment after, each week that you use Mr. Linky to link your post, just to be sure we don't miss anyone.

Not sure what a permalink is? Check out our Welcome post.

BTW--If you missed having Garlic Breath last week, you can check out what kept the vampires away from your fellow IHCC participants by checking out the links to their posts here.



I Heart Cooking Clubs *Herb Garden* Participants
1. girlichef~ White Bean and Roasted Garlic Purée (with THYME)
2. Giovanna
3. Kim- Risotto with Fresh Herbs
4. Beth Anne - Linguine with Garlic and Herbs
5. Denny - Cilantro “Pesto” with Ginger and Chile
6. Claudia - Pasta with Sardines and Herbs
7. Joanna@GoAhead&Snicker-Summer Rolls with Basil Dipping Sauce
8. Maggie-Sage and Balsamic vinegar chops
9. Joanne - Sauteed Cauliflower with Feta and Mint
10. Natashya - Pasta Salad with Beans and Herbs
11. Comfy Cook - Swoon over Herb Roasted Chicken
12. Lexi @ Big Momma and Me (my new blog)
13. TheBurmesemom
14. Tiff- Breadsticks
15. Michael and Carla - Lechon Asado
16. DebinHawaii--Chicken Salad with Fresh herbs
17. Zibi - Spare Riba

Powered by... Mister Linky's Magical Widgets.

17 comments:

NKP said...

Delicious! Can't wait to get my Green Leafy going!

Heather S-G said...

Oh, I'm excited to run my hands through the earth and come up with some herbs...delish!

Kim said...

Awesome post, Deb! I love it. I know exactly what I'm making this week!!

Heather S-G said...

Oh yeah...I'm on it today! Using thyme over at my place...one of my all-time favorite herbs!

Giovanna said...

I loved being able to use up some of my fresh herbs from my garden. They were starting to take over my yard!!! : )

Deb in Hawaii said...

I just posted my herbalicious Chicken Salad with Olive Oil and Herbs. A delicious, healthy dinner.

Kim said...

Just posted my risotto with fresh herbs - very tasty and flavorful.

Ty'sMommy said...

LOVE this theme! My Linguine is up!

Claudia said...

Herbs are all about experimenting and learning what goes best. Good job with the post Deb.

Joanna said...

Giovanna, you can send some of those herbs to my place! My little garden isn't ready to harvest yet!

My post is up! I used basil, mint and cilantro this time. Yum!

Unknown said...

Hey Ya'll, I added Sage and Balsamic vinegar chops. Yum!

Smile bunches!!

NKP said...

Delicious herbal fare everyone!

My pasta salad with beans and herbs is up. :)

Unknown said...

I just posted my first IHCC!

The Burmese Mom said...

I am so glad I got to participate this week. It was so quick yet delish!!!!

Tiff said...

I love using fresh herbs! They just smell so great!

Anonymous said...

What a great list of dishes for herbs, sorry I accidentally added my potluck dish here :(

NKP said...

Lots of great herbal creations!
No worries Zibi! ;-)