Monday, September 10, 2012

Día de Independencia

This is the week leading up to Mexican Independence Day, so what better time than to cook/bake/mix up a bunch of Mexican food and drink fit for a fiesta!?

Any party fare will do - appetizers and starters...big pots (or small ones) of soup...meat on the grill or from the kitchen...tacos and empanadas and tostadas and flautas...big pitchers of cold drinks (with or without alcohol)...tasty desserts.  Anything goes!

What are you going to bring to this week-long fiesta?
Make and post your Día de Independencia post by Sunday, September 16th. Don't forget to link your post of the week's with Mr. Linky below, so we can all enjoy your fabulous creation! Remember to leave a comment after, each week that you use Mr. Linky to link your post, just to be sure we don't miss anyone.

Not sure what a permalink is? Check out our Welcome post.

If you missed the ¡Esta Rojo! theme last week, be sure to head on over and see all of the delicious dishes everyone brought!  Don't forget, we're cooking through the recipes of Rick Bayless right now...so if you've linked up, be sure that you've used/adapted one of his recipes for your post!
*all images via Google images
I Heart Cooking Clubs *Dia de Independencia* Participants
1. Michelle ~ The Simplest Fried Beans & Green Poblano Rice
2. Deb in Hawaii--Fresh Tomatillo Salsa
3. Andrea at Nummy Kitchen -- Roasted Poblano Quesadillas
4. Natashya - Micheladas
5. Kitchen Flavours - Fire-Roasted Tomato Salsa
6. Glennis - Seafood "Stew"
7. JamieK - Sangria Mexicana
8. What's Cookin' SMA??? Spiced Nuts and Seeds
9. Kim - Quick Fried Shrimp with Sweet Toasty Garlic

Powered by... Mister Linky's Magical Widgets.

13 comments:

NKP said...

Woohoo! Time to party!

Michelle B said...

This week I went with beans and rice. RB's Simplest Fried Beans are a huge hit in my house. I've probably made them at least 6 times in the past two months.

Deb in Hawaii said...

I needed something really easy this week so I made Rick's Fresh Tomatillo Salsa and enjoyed on some fish tacos. Yum! ;-)

NKP said...

Micheladas are up! I originally made Buñuelos de viento - but it was the first time and I didn't get the hang of them yet. Tasted great but looked a mess. I'll keep trying!
But the spicy beers were a hit!

kitchen flavours said...

I've made some simple but full of flavour salsa! Love it!

Jamie K said...

I've made a sparkling Sangria Mexicana!

Jamie K said...

Ive made a sparkling Sangria Mexicana!

Andrea at Nummy Kitchen said...

Glad to be jumping back in to finish up with Rick recipes! Love these quesadillas with masa dough and the roasted poblanos.

Natashya, sorry you were having trouble with your bunuelo de viento! They are tricky for me too but every now and they I get urge to get the rosette irons out and try again. I just got a new iron so hopefully that will motivate me to make some for the holidays. They are so pretty if you can get the grove going while making them. It is pretty much a half day undertaking minimum, at least for me.

Looking forward to cooking Madhur's recipes with you all! I have had her World Vegetarian book for years but was kind of intimidated by it so this will be a good challenge for me to pull it off the shelf and try some new things!

Unknown said...

Happy Independence day ya'll! I posted some Spicy Nuts for this week. But be sure to check out my other posts this week. Since we live in the Cradle of Independence we have a lot of fun things going on around town! I have posted all about the various events. I hope that you enjoy ;)

Kim said...

I was seduced by Rick's quick fried shrimp with sweet toasty garlic. Good grief...I nearly ate them all. So good!

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Natashya,
Great! Bottoms Up!!

Kim said...

Nastashya -That picture of your michelada looks awesome. I've wanted to try that recipe for the past 5 months. The idea of adding hot sauce to a beer has me obsessed :)

NKP said...

Thanks so much Kim - I am hooked on spicy beer now! (But might leave off the salted rim next time)