Monday, July 1, 2013

Hummus Roundup and July's Optional Monthly Community Recipe!


June's Optional Monthly Community Recipe was hummus.  There were several hummus recipes to chose from.  Together we made quite a variety.  Let's take a peek!


Joanne of Eats Well with Others made Hummus with Ful.  According to Joanne this recipe is, "The hummus to end all hummus."  Joanne's hummus is heavy on tahini, a paste made from sesame seeds, and topped with a ful (a fava bean mixture with cumin, lemon, and garlic).  I love that Joanne's version of hummus has double the beans!  Makes my mouth water just thinking about it!


Zosia of Are You Cooking? found a treasure trove of dried beans in her pantry so she tried her hand at Ottolenghi's  Basic Hummus.  Zosia says " It was unbelievably smooth and the perfect consistency to use as a dip or spread. And the flavour.....so much better than anything I'd ever bought. I served it with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of sumac. Loved it!"  I really love the touch of sumac on top of Zosia's hummus.  It adds such a pretty color


Joyce at Kitchen Flavours made Ottolenghi's Perfect Hummus.  Joyce, who has always wanted to make hummus, says " Now I can understand what the fuss is all about in bloggerland about Hummus, this is darn right delicious! And so, easy peasy to make! I love it! I ate these delicious Hummus with some wholemeal tortilla wraps which I toasted till crispy, yummy! We are so glad you were able to participate, Joyce!


My co-host Deb, of Kahakai Kitchen, made Butter Bean Purée with Dukkah & Egg. Deb's version of hummus is unique in that it was made with butter beans.  Deb says, "Butter also describes the texture of this hummus-like purée--it's smooth and silky in a way that most chickpea hummus isn't." Deb's butter bean puree is finished with a really unique topping called dukkah (a tasty blend of nuts and seeds).  Makes me hungry just looking at it!


 

My co-host Sue, of Couscous and Consciousness, made Hummus Kawarma (Lamb) with Lemon Sauce.  Sue says, "Of course the hummus on its own is heavenly - still warm and velvety with more tahini than I would have imagined - but top that with the spicy lamb, lemon sauce, and buttered pine nuts, and you have, as Ottolenghi says, "one of the most sensational things you can put in your mouth".  Nothing else needed but a few warm pita breads and a simple salad.  Eat with your hands!!" Sue has me craving this fantastic dish all over again!


My co-host Sue and I were on the same delicious page this month.  Over in the Stirring the Pot kitchen I also made Hummus Kawarma (Lamb) with Lemon Sauce.  It was a real taste sensation!  Velvety cloud-like hummus with flavorful crispy chunks of lamb topped with a bright and refreshing lemon sauce and glorious buttered and toasted pine nuts.  Easily one of the best things you'll ever put in your mouth!

July's Optional Monthly Community Recipe is Harissa!!!



Harissa is a fiery chile sauce that defines North African cooking.  In Tunisia, harissa takes the place of other seasonings, such as salt and pepper.  Harissa is used to season everything from grilled meats, fish, roasted veggies, to soups and stews.   Harissa is meant to be hot and spicy, but you can adjust the flavor by adding as little or as many red chiles as you'd like.   

Harissa is very easy to make and keeps for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.  You will find many uses for it.  If you would like to participate in this month's Optional Monthly Community Recipe then go ahead and make one of Ottolenghi's versions of harissa (there is a recipe in both Plenty and Jersualem).  Make and post your harissa, with the added challenge of using it in a recipe, on or by July 31st.  Harissa would fit nicely into this week's theme, which is Paint The Town Red, but you can also post your harissa in place of any weekly theme during the month.

Please leave a comment below if you need a recipe for harissa and we will send it to you.

Click below for a quick video of Yotam Ottolenghi visiting a Tunisian market and learning about harissa.  

**There is no linky on this post.  Please link your recipes to the post below, titled Paint the Town Red.

6 comments:

Nilu A said...

Wow! Nice blog.. First time here and following you.. I'm a new blogger... Do visit my blog.. http://kitchenserenity.blogspot.in/

kitchen flavours said...

Great roundup! I'm late but am so glad that did not miss out on making Hummus! Love it!

Kim said...

Thanks to everyone who submitted their hummus recipes. What a tasty roundup we have! I've just updated the roundup to include everyone's recipes. Sorry for the ones I missed the first time around.

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Kim,
Thank you for including my late post in the roundup!

Deb in Hawaii said...

Thanks for the great round up Kim. I want to make all the varieties I haven't tried yet--Yum!

FYI to all you planners, August IHCC themes are now up on the side bar!
;-)

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Once again, you've done a great round-up. I have to confess to a bit of a cheat here. I haven't made Ottolenghi's harissa (a) because at this time of year I would have to mortgage the house to pay for peppers and chillies and (b) because I have already posted both regular harissa and green harissa on my blog before and (c) I already have a substantial stash of both in my freezer. I did, however, find a use for both of my harissa's in this weeks "Paint the Town Red" post - Braised Eggs with Lamb, Tahini & Sumac, which is probably my most favourite Ottolenghi dish so far - no kidding!!