Monday, October 29, 2012

Indian Tea Party!

Care for a cuppa?

Time to Whip up a spiced tea and/or snacks for tea-time. 

Indian tea is called chai, and is often made with spices and milk. It is served with a variety of snacks, both savoury and sweet, and is a fun way to celebrate a get-together.


From Wiki:

India produces and consumes more tea than any other country in the world, except for China, including the famous Assam tea and Darjeeling tea.

The cultivation and brewing of tea in India has a long history of applications in traditional systems of medicine and for consumption. The consumption of tea in India was first clearly documented in the Ramayana (750-500 BC). For the next thousand years, documentation of tea in India was lost in history. Records re-emerge during the first century AD, with stories of the Buddhist monks Bodhidharma and Gan Lu, and their involvement with tea. Research shows that tea is indigenous to eastern and northern India, and was cultivated and consumed there for thousands of years. Commercial production of tea in India did not begin until the arrival of the British East India Company, at which point large tracts of land were converted for mass tea production.

Today, India is one of the largest tea producers in the world, though over 70% of the tea is consumed within India itself. A number of renowned teas, such as Darjeeling, also grow exclusively in India. The Indian tea industry has grown to own many global tea brands, and has evolved to one of the most technologically equipped tea industries in the world. Tea production, certification, exportation, and all other facets of the tea trade in India is controlled by the Tea Board of India.
So whip up a great tea party - spiced Indian tea and/or snacks to go with it - from one of Madhur Jaffrey's recipes. Post on or by Sunday, November 4th, and link up to Mr. Linky below. Don't forget to leave a message, so we can all come visit your fabulous Indian Tea Party creation!

If you'd like more information, check out our Welcome post!

And did you get a chance to see all the yogurty creations from last week?

all photos from google images

I Heart Cooking Clubs *Indian Tea Party* Participants
1. Kitchen Flavours - Masala Chai
2. Michelle ~ Easy Masla Chai
3. Kaye - Salabat (Ginger Tea)
4. Heather - Masala Chai
5. You Are Here - Chai Movie Night!
6. Deb in Hawaii--Lemongrass Tea (Leelee Chai)
7. Margaret - pakoris
8. Glennis - Masala Chai

12 comments:

kitchen flavours said...

Chai Tea at my place! Come on over, and join me for a cuppa!

Kim said...

Love this theme. Can't wait to savor a cup of tea and some good snacks.

Michelle B said...

Easy Masla Chai--spicy kick, liked it best cold!

Anonymous said...

I had no idea that India produced so much! I love silver needle, myself =) but Chai is SOOOO good!!

Kaye said...

I love the Masala Chai in Indian Cooking, but it was Ginger Tea for me.

Heather S-G said...

I made it, I made it! Phew. Slow down November...

Mike Neimoyer said...

I jumped on the chai bandwagon, too, but also added a munchable snack, for a Chai Movie Night!

Deb in Hawaii said...

I made some Leelee Chai or Lemongrass Tea from World Vegetarian. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Kaye...we made the Masala Chai from Indian Cooking and heartily agree! I got it hot, and lukewarm, hubby got it lukewarm to cold, and thoroughly enjoyed it. What fun!

Kim said...

I didn't get around to making anything this week, but I can't wait to check out everyone's posts later tonight.

NKP said...

Wow - I am sorry I missed the tea party - but I am looking forward to seeing all the delicious and comforting posts!

Mike Neimoyer said...

All this tea now has me wanting to make some shortbread cookies... Perhaps an Orange-Cardamom Shortbread? Hrmm...